Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Read to help animals

Welcome to my blog, enjoy your visit.
-Erika M Szabo

I started my Read for Animals project because I learned to love and respect animals from my parents, especially from my father. He risked his neck climbing up a tree to put a fallen baby squirrel back into the nest, fixed the broken beak of a young stork with – of course what else – duct tape. But it worked; the stork came back next summer to nest on top of the school building.

Together with a few author friends we are putting a book together that will benefit many of our furry, feathered and scaly friends. There are lots of animal lovers out there who don't know how to help, or they feel that a donation of $2-3 is not enough, but buying this book will make them feel that they are helping animals while enjoying the short stories in the book.

I never had a pet that came from a puppy-mill or breeders, and I never had a pure-bred dog or cat. All my pets were either adopted from shelters, or they found us. We live in the Catskill mountains and unfortunately the "summer people" who rent a home or own one as summer home, often bring puppies and kittens with them for the entertainment for their kids for the summer. When autumn comes, they move back to the cities where pets are a nuisance or not allowed in the apartment building.
Some of them just close the door behind them leave the animals outside to fend for themselves. Since we moved to the country side from the Bronx over 20 years ago, eight cats and three dogs found us and stayed with us until they had to go to animal heaven

I want to help animals in need, any way I can. So being a writer, I thought that I could use my God given talent of story telling to help struggling animal shelters. Our furry, feathered and scaly friends who are not adopted from shelters need our help to survive, they depend on us for food, shelter and loving homes.

I wrote a few funny and true stories about my pets, fox pups that grew up in my backyard. I invited a few author friends to join me in this project to publish a book Read for Animals and donate the money collected from the sales after publishing fees to different animal shelters every three months.

If you would like to join us in our effort to help struggling animal shelters, please purchase this book when it's published. Thank you for your help.

The book will be published soon, we are in the process of selecting and editing the stories, formatting and then publishing the book in ebook and print.



5 comments:

  1. This is such a worthy cause and I am proud and grateful you are letting me be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your beautiful poems are a great edition to the book Cindy, thank you for participating in my project of helping animals

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful cause this is, Erika! I am so happy to be part of this. I added another little story; hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Sandra, I love your writing style and I'm sure the readers will love your stories as well :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for including me in this wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete